Lotus House Welcomes The LGBTQIA+ Community
Lotus House accommodations and holistic services are designed to afford homeless LGBTQIA+ adults and youth a safe, supportive and nurturing environment.
LGBTQIA+ youth are disproportionately represented in the population of homeless youth
Homeless Youth Identify As LGBTQIA+
LGBTQIA+ youth are thrown out by parents when they come out to them
More likely to attempt suicide
4 to 5 Times
More likely to suffer from severe depression
Homeless LGBTQIA+ individuals of all ages need trauma informed shelter and support services sensitive to their special needs. Based on principles of education and empowerment, Lotus House is committed to providing a trauma-informed, LGBTQIA+-sensitive sanctuary honoring the divine nature of all individuals, including adults, youth and children, with unconditional love.
Since opening its doors, Lotus House has welcomed homeless LGBTQIA+ women and youth, many of whom have suffered traumas and homelessness due to their sexual orientation or gender identity.
Lotus House accommodations and holistic services are designed to afford homeless LGBTQIA+ adults and youth a safe, supportive and nurturing environment for body, mind and spirit to allow them to heal, grow and blossom into who they are truly meant to be.
In addition to shelter, meals, clothing, educational assistance, job readiness training, access to specialized health care and mental health treatment, each LGBTQIA+ participant is provided with personalized, individual counseling tailored to their unique issues and challenges, in addition to discovering the support of peers and allies in Rainbow Lotus support groups. Psychosocial education, field trips, social activities, linkages and community engagement are also important components of our Rainbow Lotus Program. Based on principles of education and empowerment, Lotus House is committed to providing a dedicated, trauma-informed and LGBTQIA+-sensitive safe haven that honors the divine nature of all individuals, including adults, youth and children, with unconditional love.
Highlights of Rainbow Lotus Program
- Safe, supportive and nurturing environment for all LGBTQIA+ individuals
- Evidence-based individual and group therapy; NA support groups
- Support groups providing positive interactions with other LGBTQIA+individuals, enrichment, education and advocacy
- Linkages to LGBTQIA+ agencies and involvement with community activities for additional enrichment, advocacy and support services
- Coordination with school liaisons and youth programs to identify and support LGBTQIA+ youth experiencing homelessness
- Diverse, sensitivity trained, and well-informed administrative staff, resident managers, counselors and resource coordinators, including alumni of the program
- Community education/advocacy regarding LGBTQIA+ homelessness