Based on principles of education and empowerment, Lotus House is committed to providing a trauma informed, LGBTQ sensitive sanctuary honoring the divine nature of all individuals, including adults, youth and children, with unconditional love.
THE PROBLEM – Homeless LGBTQ Individuals Need Supportive Shelter
LGBTQ youth are disproportionately represented in the population of homeless youth – 20 to 40% of homeless youth identify as LGBTQ; 26% of LGBTQ youth are thrown out by parents when they come out to them; LGBTQ youth are four times more likely to attempt suicide, suffer depression four to five times more severely.
Homeless LGBTQ individuals of all ages need trauma informed shelter and support services sensitive to their special needs.
Since opening its doors, Lotus House has welcomed homeless LBTQ women and youth, many of whom have suffered traumas and homelessness due to their sexual orientation or gender identity. Lotus House accommodations and holistic services are designed to afford homeless LGBTQ adults and youth a safe, supportive and nurturing environment for body, mind and spirit to allow them to heal, grow and blossom into who they are truly meant to be. In addition to shelter, meals, clothing, educational assistance, job readiness training, access to specialized health care and mental health treatment, each LGBTQ participant is provided with personalized, individual counseling tailored to her/his unique issues and challenges, in addition to discovering the support of peers and allies in Rainbow Lotus support groups. Psychosocial education, field trips, social activities, linkages and community engagement are also important components of our Rainbow Lotus Program. Based on principles of education and empowerment, Lotus House is committed to providing a dedicated, trauma informed and LGBTQ sensitive safe haven that honors the divine nature of all individuals, including adults, youth and children, with unconditional love.
Highlights of Rainbow Lotus Program
- Safe, supportive and nurturing environment for all LGBTQ individuals
Evidence based individual and group therapy; NA support groups
- Rainbow Lotus support groups providing positive interactions with other LGBTQ individuals, enrichment, education and advocacy
- Linkages to LGBTQ agencies and involvement with community activities for additional enrichment, advocacy and support services
- Coordination with school liaisons and youth programs to identify and support LGBTQ youth experiencing homelessness
- Diverse, sensitivity trained, and well-informed administrative staff, resident managers, counselors and resource coordinators, including alumni of the program
- Community education/advocacy regarding LGBTQ homelessness
- Lotus Wellness Center, LLC, a free health clinic, staffed by compassionate volunteer doctors offering specialty LGBTQ health care and education
Rainbow Lotus Coordinators:
Marie Alcineus: email@example.com, 305-576-4780